Thursday, November 4, 2010

Our Father

 Matthew 6:9-13

Jesus tells us how to pray and my interpretation.


This, then, is how you should pray:
 Our Father in heaven,  How blessed am I to have a great dad. It makes it so easy for me to except God as a male figure and to pray to a "father in heaven" My dad is strong and loving father who never gives up on his child.  So it is simple to transfer those principles to my God. I think of so many of my friends who were abuse, neglected or never even knew their father. How hard it must be for them to think of a father as a positive influence.
hallowed be your name, The hallowed part is a reminder to respect God. Don't forget to respect God when you pray.  Names where important to God. Every name in the bible gives you a little clue about the character of the person your reading about. God and Jesus changed peoples names sometimes depending on what was going on in their life. Or sometimes their names stayed the same. I love all the Jehovah names for God in the old testament. Here is my favorite Jehovah-Rapha  - God is my Healer.
10 your kingdom come, The kingdom will come, are you ready? what about your family and friends?
your will be done,
   on earth as it is in heaven.  Does that mean I have to be passive and except things the way they are? No, I do not believe so. You might hear people say Oh, its Gods will that person has cancer there is nothing we can do about it. I don't believe that. Does God want people in heaven to have cancer and suffer? The bible tells me no. No pain, no suffering, no tears in heaven. Why would people say it is Gods will and just accept it? Yes, there is and will be suffering, and Jesus suffered in the end. Can we closer to through suffering?   God can heal people through prayer, medical professionals and/or death. God's will is for people to come to know him.
11 Give us today our daily bread.  It is ok to ask for our daily needs, it says so right here.
12 And forgive us our debts, In our American society we learn to blame everyone but ourselves. Sometime we screw up and need forgiveness, we should ask God to forgive us and ask our loved ones, co-workers, whoever to forgive us. People do not know how to react when you fess up to doing something wrong and asking forgiveness. It is almost fun to watch their reaction. The catch here is you have to mean it, not just say it.
   as we also have forgiven our debtors.  In turn we need to forgive others. We can pray for help. This is a hard one. I am still mad at my dad's x girlfriend, the braless wonder. It is stupid to hold on to that. I know it. But I do. On the bright side I have forgiven the guy who called me a F****** female dog at the corner liquor store.
And lead us not into temptation everyone's temptations are NOT the same, it is not always sexual. It can be greed, drugs of any kind, to much food so on. Pray to have strength NOT to fall into temptations hands.
   but deliver us from the evil one. The "evil one" only has power over us if we say ok to our temptations. Then he will use what ever we have done to mess with our heads.  The "evil one" will also play those cd's in our heads like "your not good enough, you are weak, you can't do it, your a loser" so on. God can deliver us from strongholds, or just plain evil if we ask. Sometimes one bad thing after another just happens. Maybe you have done nothing wrong and it is a test. Pray for help and ask your friends or loved ones to pray with you. 

No comments: