Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Today at Chemo


I took my dad in today for his second Chemo. Dad was really nervous. As you recall it was a horrid experience last time. Things went much smoother. They got the needle into the port without a problem. Nurse Nadine said she used a 1 inch needle. It seems Chemo gives dad the musnchies. He ate 2 gram crackers, a diabetic breakfast bar and some almonds. He also had water and a 1/2 can of diet 7 up. Oh by the way, today we find out they have a numbing ointment that you can put on your port to help stop the pain when they stick the needle in. To bad we didn't now that last week. One more treatment, then dad gets to have a week off.
It a strange sort of way going to Chemo has it's benefits. I know that might be stretching it a little. It seems it has its own little social club. We are getting to know people, they are getting to know us. Like the lady who dose not have a stomach any more. She is greek. I was hoping she was from the eastern middle east, so I could practice saying "excuse me, do you speak English?"

By the infusion room, in a open waiting room Kaiser has set up a gift shop. Today they had a robotic yellow chick that was about a foot high. (remember tickle me elmo) that sang "if your happy and you know it clap your hands." The next verse the chick said "stomp your feet." It jumped up and down. The greek lady with no stomach bought it. I was glad because If I had to hear that stupid song one more time I was going to knock chicken little into the pharmacy. The greek lady with no stomach seemed very happy with her purchase.

The male nurses aide is very kind. He asked us if he could get dad and I something to drink. I said only if it's a double. He smiled and said he was with me on that one. He dressing all in black. He is a big guy. I keep thinking how he remedied me of the grim reaper.

I made a promise to myself that I would have a little God talk every time I go with dad to Chemo. Don't tell Dad I said that! Today I talk about P. Terry's message about Huh? P. Terry said when he was young any time someone would say something to him, he would say Huh? Come to find out he had a pebble stuck in his ear. P. Terry says sometime when God tries to talk to us, all we say is Huh? So we need to make sure our ears are clear. Dad seems to like my God talk so far. This one made him smile.





1 comment:

Lynn said...

The quilt is gorgeous. I love the colors and the energy. Such bright colors.

I also love the relationship between your dad and you. You are doing exactly the right things with your life.

B. Lynn Goodwin
www.writeradvice.com
Author of You Want Me to Do What? Journaling for Caregivers