Friday, April 17, 2009

Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)


My dad symptoms started when he would feel full even after he ate a little tiny bit. In my family we all know there is something wrong if we fill full after eating a very small meal. He also was a little nauseous. He had a hard time doing his usual walking. Did he tell any of the family NO. It became apparent that dad was not feeling well. There was something wrong. My dad thought he had the flu. He started to become itchy. The bad / good thing about pancreatic cancer is you don't know you have it because you don't have much pain with it.

Last week the Dr. M did blood work. She said the "indicators" were high so she order a CT scan. The scan found the mass in his pancreas. The tumor is about the size of a ping pong ball. It is pressing on the bile duct leading his liver. This is making my dad itch. He started to turn yellow with jaundice. This was quite a shock to everyone. The Dr. told us it was going to be a "rough road." Dr. M said she would set up a meeting with Dr. D to do a "ERCP". We met with Dr. D and he told us he was going to put a stint in the duct to relive the itching and some of the jaundice. He was also going to take photos and get biopsy's. The procedure is called Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography.

Yesterday my Dad had an (ERCP) He did very well. When we got home there was a message on the answering machine. It was an appointment with the surgeon. That will be Tuesday. He will discuss the surgery and set a date. Apparently this surgery is going to be a hard one.

My big brother spent the night with my dad. The rest of us went home and to bed.

I will write some of my thoughts about Kaiser later.

No comments: