Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yarn Bombers Update with Video link

Have you heard about this new trend called "yarn bombing, knit graffiti, urban knitting?" I must be way behind times, because apparently it is going on all over the world.

This is what is happening. People are knitting "cozies" for public structures. Trees, street signs, sculptures, bike racks, telephone poles, abandon houses, guns, parking meters, rain gutters, you name it. Some of the work is elaborate, other work is as simple as a chain stitch. 

Some yarn bombers prefer to do it stealthily in the middle of the night, some come to a designated area as gang knitters and cover a structure during daylight hours. I got my first look at knit graffiti when I went to Berkeley today. It looked like the mysterious urban knitter(s) still has work to do on the street sign below. 



Now I want to go back to Berkeley and find all the different "tagged" spots. While I am looking for tagged spots, I bet I will get hungry and have to find a uniquely Berkeley place to eat. I will have to put that on my to do list for the summer. 

Check out this video
An artist from NY yarn bombed the famous charging bull statue in the financial district.
 

No comments: