Sunday, May 8, 2011

Gratitude

 Café Gratitude 

The other day I had to go to Berkeley to do some business, so I asked Jasmin if she would like to come along. Jasmin has been hounding me and Fuchsia for years about eating "raw, live, food" "Live" meaning not cooked enough to kill anything good or bad. "Raw foods or ‘live’ foods are those that have not been exposed to temperature above 105F (depending on how strict a person is, up to 118F)."  This is a vegan restaurant. So I took Jasmin to Cafe Gratitude.

At first glance you think this cafe is great, but I believe there is something underlying, dark, leering just below the surface. I think New Age should be called Old age, because it is the oldest tricks in the bible. The trick is to make people believe they are God therefore, It is all about "self" and me, me, me.

This is Cafe Gratitudes mission statement with my comments.

"Café Gratitude is our expression of a world of plenty, yes here in America we have plenty, the world does not. Our food and people are a celebration of our aliveness. Oops forgot God here. We select the finest organic ingredients to honor the earth and ourselves, as we are one and the same. I am not the same as the earth, we are not suppose to honor ourselves, but it sounds good.  We support local farmers, sustainable agriculture, and environmentally-friendly products. I like that. Our food is prepared with love that sounds good. We invite you to step inside and enjoy being someone who chooses: loving your life, adoring yourself, accepting the world Why would I want to accept the world when there is wars, injustices and survival of the fittest.  being generous and grateful every day that sounds good, and experiencing being provided for God is the true provider. Have fun and enjoy being nourished." I get my nourishment from God, good friends and food.

The words on the menu are all affirmations.  So when you say I would like to have the ___ the server repeats you are ____.

I tell the server what I want to order, I AM HEARTY- the server says YOU ARE HARTY  (Deep-dish pizza with sun-dried tomato marinara, pesto, olive tapenade, Brazil nut Parmesan and ricotta cheese on  live onion sunflower pizza crust.) I told her I would also like I AM COURAGEOUS, She says YOU ARE COURAGEOUS : Organic slow-dripped coffee.  Jasmin says  I AM ELATED, the servers say YOU ARE ELATED (Enchilada in a live spinach tortilla with a sprouted seed filling, topped with spicy mole, cashew sour cream and scallions. Served with spicy Mexican coleslaw) , Jasmin continues I AM EFFERVESCENT the server says YOU ARE EFFERVESCENT."  (Ginger and lemon juice with agave and naturally sparkling water on ice)

Proverbs 18:21 The tongue (speech/words) has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. (will give birth or have offspring) Can you see how this is tricky. They are using words to encourage you, but their words are empty. The server was just doing her job. She has no idea if we are elated or courageous. Her words of affirmation meant nothing to me. 

We started talking to this woman sitting next to us, and she told us that sitting in this restaurant made her feel better. I wanted to say it is great marketing. I wanted to ask the woman, what do you do when you leave this restaurant? Who or What will fill you back up? 

Next a lady came in who looked like a gypsy. Gypsy Lady sat next to the woman who we were talking to. Gypsy Lady set up shop on the big table in front of them. She had some kind of angel tarot cards and she does angel readings. Wow, that is really deceptive. What I believe about angels is a different blog. We must test the spirits to see if they are true. I do not believe God's angels come in tarot card to help you with your life. They are messengers from God, who acknowledge God, not self. The self angel is the one to run from.
2 Corinthians 11:14  And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Our food was good, but not hearty, it was light but still filling.  I really like the EFFERVESCENT drink. 

Courageous

Effervescent 

Elated 

Hearty
There were words of affirmation on plates and walls. The table had conversation cards like what are you grateful for, what makes you beautiful. I was sad for the people who get there hope and encouragement from a restaurant with empty words. Where the bottom line is still about the mighty dollar.

Would I eat vegan every day? no. Did I like the food, yes. Will I ever go back to Cafe Gratitude? Not a chance. 


1 comment:

KARNA said...

Isn't it nice to have the discernment of the Holy Spirit!!! Your questions to the people who feel good there, or get their kicks from afirmations are good ones. It's empty, empty, empty BS that will not uphold one of them...sadly. The new age is nothing more than the old age indeed. I AM THIN! (no i am not) but I guess i'd get a tomato and some lettuce on that plate ;) HAHAAH