Friday, June 26, 2009

Diabetic and other things

Now my dad is a type 1 diabetic. (because the surgeons took out his pancreas.) This has been a challenge to get his blood sugar under control. On Saturday his sugar was to high over 500. That is why we spent 12 hours in the ER. Yesterday evening it was to low. It got down to 59. He should be at least 70 minimum according to his Diabetic nurse that calls on the phone.
Come to find out he had only had 37 g of Carbohydrates for lunch and 37 for dinner. He is SUPPOSE to have 75 g of carbs each meal (as you know carbohydrates raises your blood sugar level) Not only that he is suppose to have 15 additional carb 3 times a day between meals for a snack. He had jello. Jello = 0 carbs. At 10:00 pm last night he was up to 95 on his blood sugar level.

As I told you the other day, they took out his JP drains. Yesterday most all of the drainage stopped. Dad took his first shower is 3 1/2 weeks. He was very happy about that.

On Tuesday my Dad is going back to the Oncologist. My big brother is taking him.

My dad does not qualify for a home care nurse because he can walk 300 feet. If my dad had a home care nurse, he would not of had to take up a bed in the ER for 12 hours the other night. I am terrible at math, but it seems to me that it would be way more cost effective to have a home care nurse, then paying the bill for an ER visit for 12 hours.

No comments: