Wednesday, March 14, 2012

St. Pat Cheese, Cowgirl Creamery


I have been so excited to try Cowgirl Creamery St Pat cheese. A The Cowgirl Creamery is a local cheese maker. At long last I got a round today.

This is one of the first spring cheeses that the Cowgirl Creamery makes. They describe it as a semi-soft with with a bloomy rine. The rine has been aged in nettle leaves (don't worry they take the poison out) leaving you with a "smoky artichoke" aftertaste. The cheese has a beautiful deep green and white rine.

I would describe this cheese as fresh, clean like a spring day after it rains. It is light with a slight salty taste. As far as the nettle leaves to me tasted mildly grassy. My gig a low says it tastes like "happy cow." My dad says "it doesn't taste like much does it."

I think this would be the perfect cheese to go with St. Patrick's day dinner. I think it would be good on Irish soda bread that has raisins and nuts in it. To bad we had our St. Patrick's dinner yesterday!

Generally speaking, my family prefers a more robust cheese. For those of you who like mild, mellow this is the cheese for you.

No comments: