Sunday, April 28, 2013

Are You to Old to Get Your Nose Peirced? Here is Some Advice


OK, I will blame it on my foster sister, It was her fault because she agreed do go along with me and get her nosed pierced.  So after thinking about piercing my nose for years, I finally did it!

You might be saying to yourself, what is a grandmother doing piercing her nose? Your to old for that....
You are only as old as you feel, and I don't feel nearly as old as I am.

I decided not to mention my nose piercing to most of my friends and co workers. I was quite disappointed in the reaction when they saw it. This is what they said, Did you get your nose pierced? yes, I thought you always had your nose pierced and I just had not noticed before, it looks good.

Dang it!!! No shock and awe.

Here is some advice if you are thinking of getting your nose pierced and you are a middle aged or older woman.
  1. Do not watch youtube videos about botched nose piercing before you go.
  2. Do not go to the mall and get your nose pierced with an inexperienced teenager and a piercing gun.
  3. Find one of your friends who has adult children with multiple peircing's and ask where they go to get pierced. 
  4. Make sure the post is" implant grade" surgical steel.
  5. Take a friend or a loved one for moral support. Not only that, it can be kind of scary going into a tattoo/piercing parlor alone.
  6. Once your nose is pierced DO NOT use anything to clean it except Dial soap or saline solution rinse (That is what the piercer told me.)
  7. Make sure the "parlor" is clean and tidy and all the equipment is clean, new and/ or autoclaved
  8. Make sure the piercer wears disposable gloves.
  9. Decide before you go if you want the right side or left side pierced. 
  10. Some say to get your nose pierced on the opposite side of the part in your hair.
  11. If you are squeamish, do not watch someone else get their nose pierced. 
  12. Buy a few boxes of circle band-aides. Put a circle band aid on your nose ring before you go to bed, so you don't accidentally scratch your nose at night.  I put a new one on in the morning before applying make up. 
  13. It is important that you clean your new piercing after showering.  My piercer said that hair conditioner tends to build up on the post. 
  14. Resist temptation! Do NOT FUSS with your new nose ring while it is healing!
Q & A
  • How much does it cost? In my foster sisters city it cost  $50.00 + a tip. That included your choice of L shaped noise ring with a cubic zirconia.  They had many colors to choose from.
  • How do they pierce your nose? This was my experience, with a jumbo embroidery needle (hehe.) First he cleaned my nose with rubbing alcohol. next he stuck a hard plastic clear tube up my nose and push the embroidery needle through the side of my nostril (the needle came out the bottom of the tube) at the same time putting the post in. He was quick!
  • Why do the piercers ware a plastic apron? Sorry this is gross... Because some people are "squirter's"- they squirt blood when their nose is getting pierced. Thankfully neither me, or my foster sister were "squirter's"
  • Does it hurt? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being excruciating pain, I would say 1.5, my foster sister may say 2.5, she is more sensitive than I am. It was a little tender for a few days.
  • Can you still blow your nose/sneeze? yes.
  • What shape is the nose ring post? Mine is L shaped. 
Therefore, if you are over 40 years old and wanting to get your nosed pierced I say GO FOR IT!

No comments: